If this is your first visit find the very first post in the archive and start reading there, it will make more sense.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

OH Crack!!

Dang it, early on in the project I wondered how this bike could have made it 25 years on the original wheels since in 1986 I broke mine in the first six months of racing it. Well, it wont make it any longer I was in the middle of cleaning the rear wheel diligently with steel wool cleaning spokes when I found this. That little jagged line just below the 100 is a break, I found three others like it on this wheel.




So yes I had to look at the front one, Yep found three cracks in that one too. Poop! the cost of the project just went up.  Wheels and spokes front and back, I did check the hubs and there is a crack in the rear one but it is outside the bearing race so that will be on the watch list but not replacing now unless I find a really cheap one.
I think that this bike never saw very much action on a track or anywhere else for these wheels to have lasted that long.


No comments: